This book is an all new revision of my earlier book, PhoneGap 2.x Mobile Application Development Hotshot with support for Cordova and PhoneGap 3.x. The book explores several important topics, including localization and globalization, persistent storage, audio recording and playback, video recording and playback, image capture, GPS, the accelerometer, and much, much more. To explore these topics, the book guides you through the development of several apps, including a productivity app, a path-recording app, and a game.
Build Fully Functional Apps
Build three fully functional applications that demonstrate the various features discussed in the book. Each app is cross-platform, supporting iOS and Android. Each app also supports both mobile and tablet form factors.
Explore Useful Technologies
- Build apps more easily with dependency management using RequireJS.
- Ensure your apps are ready for the international stage by localizing content.
- Formatting numbers, dates, and currency is no easy thing: jQuery/Globalize to the rescue.
localStorageisn't always the best place to store data; the File API lets us store important user data to persistent storage.
- Play audio files and record from the microphone using the Media API.
- Take pictures from the camera, and load data from the user's picture gallery using the Camera API.
- Record video by using the Media Capture API and play video using the HTML5 video tag.
- Share content using Email, Facebook, and Twitter using a third-party plugin.
- Build apps that handle small and large screens as well as changes in orientation using responsive design.
- Load Google Maps using RequireJS and display an interactive map with markers and polylines.
- Access the device's current location and get notified when it changes using the Geolocation API.
- Create performant games using the HTML5 canvas to achieve high frames-per-second.
- Respond to the device's orientation in three-dimensional space using the Accelerometer.
- Add a back-end to store data using Parse.
- Add native controls using a third-party plugin in an online chapter.
- About the Author